PUBLISHED WORKS (partial list)
- Love Your Enemies: It will Drive them Crazy (with Sharon Salzberg),
Hay House International, 2013.
- Tsong Khapa's Brilliant Illumination of the Lamp of the Five Stages, (2 Vols; English and Critically Edited Tibetan)
NY: AIBS/CBS/THUS with Columbia University Press, 2011-2012.
- Why the Dalai Lama Matters: His Act of Truth as the Solution for China, Tibet, and the World.
NY and Portland: Simon & Schuster Atria /Beyond Words Books, 2008 (also, in translation in French, Czech, Italian, Chinese, Russian, Tibetan, Spanish)
- A Shrine for Tibet: The Alice Kandell Collection (with Marilyn Rhie),
Tibet House with Overlook Press, New York, 2007.
- The Universal Vehicle Discourse Literature (with Lozang Jamspal, et al.),
NY: AIBS/CBS/THUS with Columbia University Press, 2004.
- Anger: of the Seven Deadly Sins.
Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2004. (also, in translation in French, German, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Korean, Hebrew, Russian, Chinese).
- The Jewel Tree of Tibet.
NY, Macmillan Free Press, 2004.
- Infinite Life: Awakening to the Bliss Within.
NY: Riverhead Books (Putnam), 2003. (also, in translation in Spanish, German, Russian)
- Circling the Sacred Mountain (with Tad Wise),
NY: Doubleday, Bantam, 1999. (also, in translation in Dutch, Italian, French)
- Inner Revolution: Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Real Happiness.
NY: Riverhead Books (Putnam), 1998. (also, in translation in Chinese, Japanese, Korean, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Russian)
- Mandala: The Architecture of Enlightenment (with Denise Leidy),
NY & Boston: Shambhala Publications, Asia Society, & Tibet House US, 1996.
- Essential Tibetan Buddhism,
San Francisco: Harper San Francisco, 1995. (Spanish, French, Italian, and German)
- The Tibetan Book of the Dead: The Natural Liberation Through Understanding in the Between.
NY: Bantam Publications, 1994. (translations in Spanish, French, German, Italian, Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Russian)
- Wisdom and Compassion: The Sacred Art of Tibet (with Marilyn Rhie),
NY, Harry Abrams, 1992 & 1997. (also, in translation in German, Spanish, Catalan, Japanese, Chinese)
- World of Transformation: Masterpieces of Tibetan Sacred Art in the Donald Rubin Collection (with Marilyn Rhie)
Tibet House US (with Harry Abrams), New York, 1999.
- Speech of Gold: Reason and Enlightenment in the Central Philosophy of Tibet.
Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1984; reprinted as The Central Philosophy of Tibet, Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1991.
- The Holy Teaching of Vimalakirti.
Penn State University Press, 1977. (translation in Polish and Spanish)
ESSAYS (Partial list)
- Interiority and Confrontation in Buddhist Religious Experience, in Peter Berger (ed.), The Other Side of God: Monotheism and the World Religions,
- Transcendence and the Sacred in Mahayana Thought, in Transcendence and the Sacred,
Notre Dame Press, 1981
- Buddhist Social Activism: Nagarjuna's Welfare State, in The Eastern Buddhist, May 1983, pp. 19-52
- The Practice of Unexcelled Yoga Tantra, According to Tsong Khapa, in S.B. Park (ed.), Practice in Buddhism,
- Buddhist Views of Nature, in L. Rouner, ed. On Nature, Notre Dame Press, 1984.
- Beyond Buddhism and Christianity: New Definition of the Dialogue of World Religions, in Buddhist-Christian Studies,
U. of Hawaii Press, 1984.
- Human Rights and Human Responsibilities: Buddhist Theories of Justice, in Human Rights in the World Religions, ed. W. de Bary, W. Proudfoot, I. Bloom, Columbia University Press, (forthcoming).
- The Bodhisattva: Buddhist Messiah, D. Lopez & S. Rockefeller, eds., Christ and the Bodhisattva,
- Vajra Hermeneutics, in D. Lopez, ed., Buddhist Hermeneutics, Kuroda Institute Series,
U. of Hawaii Press, 1987.
- Homage to Nishitani, in T. Unno ed., Religion and Nothingness, and Its Challenge to Western Thought, Nanzan Institute for Philosophy and Religion Series,
- The Tibetan Way of Dying, in H. Obayashi, ed., Death and the World Religions,
U. Chicago Press.
- Tibet in the Future of Asia, in H. Steckel, ed., Tibet in the 1990s,
Hamburg, June, 1991.
- The Spirituality of Emptiness, in Second Buddhism Volume of the Encyclopedia of Spirituality,
- Tibetan Psychology: Sophisticated Software for the Human Biocomputer, in R. Thurman & D. Goleman, ed., Mind Science, East and West,
Wisdom Publications, Boston, 1991.
- A Glimpse of Shambhala, in Shapiro ed., The Way Ahead,
- The Buddha's Smile: Buddhism on the Pursuit of Happiness, in On Happiness, Boston University Institute of Philosophy and Religion,
Notre Dame Press, 1995.
- Tibetan Culture Under Threat Today for Tibetan Art,
Albuquerque Museum, 1998.
- Tibetan Buddhism in America, in C. Prebish, ed., Buddhism in America,
UCAL Press, 2001.
JOURNAL, ENCYCLOPEDIA, and MAGAZINE ARTICLES (Partial listing)
- Buddhist Hermeneutics, Journal American Academy of Religion, March, 1978.
- Voidness and Totalities: Madhyamika and Hua Yen Thought, in A.K. Narain (ed.), Studies in Pali and Buddhism, Delhi,1978.
- The Politics of Enlightenment, Lindisfarne Letter 8, Winter 1979.
- Philosophical Non-egocentrism in Wittgenstein and Candrakirti and the Private Language Question, Philosophy East and West, June, 1980.
- Tsong Khapa on Analytic Meditation, Tibet Journal, May, 1980.
- Tibetan Buddhism Faces Modernity, Bulletin of the Harvard Center for the Study of the World Religions, 1979.
- Terras Irradient: Western Liberal and Buddhist Liberative Arts, P. La Chance (ed.), Appalachian Journal of Higher Education, 1982.
- The Dalai Lamas of Tibet, Tibet Journal, December, 1983.
- Buddhist Ethics: Emptiness and Compassion, in Religious Traditions, Nov. 1981.
- Tsong Khapa on Integration of Sutra and Tantra, in Tibetan Studies, ed. Aziz and Kapstein, Harrassowitz, 1984.
- Parabola, interviews and essays:
- Trials of a Teacher, June, 1978;
- Sleep and the Inner Landscape, (with Dr. Yeshi Donden), September, 1981;
- The Golden Bowl, February, 1984;
- Pilgrimage, June, 1984;
- Wholeness, (with H. H. Dalai Lama), Nov. 1984;
- Tibet: Mystic Nation in Exile, April, 1985.
- J. Kitagawa et al., eds., Encyclopedia of World Religions, New York, Macmillan;
- Tsong Khapa,
- Psychic Powers,
- Tibetan Cultic Life,
- Indian Tantrism.
- Edward L. Farmer, et al., eds., Encyclopedia of Asian History, New York, Asia Society;
- Tibetan Religion,
- The Dalai Lamas,
- Panchen Lamas,
- Tsong Khapa.
- Yoshinori Takeuchi, et al., eds., World History of Spirituality, New York, Crossroad Press;
- Buddhist Monasticism in the Asian Civilizations.
- Tibetan Monastic Education, in C. Eilchert, Padma Karpo - In Celebration of Tibetan Culture,
Snow Lion Press.
- The Cultural Inheritance of Tibet, in Cultural Survival, Cambridge, Mass., 1988.
- Spiritual Traveling, Travel, 1998.
- Win-Win Solution for Tibet Op-ed, Wall Street Journal, 1998.
- Interviews with HH Dalai Lama, in Shambhala Sun (1998), Mother Jones (1999), Rolling Stone (2001)
- The Dalai Lama And The Cult Of Dolgyal Shugden,
Huffington Post, 2014.
REVIEWS (partial list - forewords omitted)
- Harvard Journal of Asiatic Studies: H.V. Guenther, Kindly Bent to Ease Us, 1974.
- Journal of the American Oriental Society: A. Verdu, Hua Yen Thought, 70's. S. Beyer, Cult of Tara, 71; C. Trungpa R., Visual Dharma, 70's. D. Ruegg, History of Madhyamika Literature, 85.
- Parabola Magazine: L. A. Govinda, Creative Meditation and Multi-Dimensional Consciousness, 70's. E. Birnbaum, The Way to Shambhala, 80's. Frederick Franck, The Bottomless Well, forthcoming.
- Journal of Religious Studies, Patiala: F. de Jong, Sanskrit Manuscripts from Central Asia. A. Yuyama, Fragments of the The Lotus Sutra. L. M. Joshi, Studies in Buddhistic Culture of India.
- Journal of Asian Studies: M. Aris, Hidden Lives and Treasures, 1991.
- Critique of D. Lopez' Prisoners of Shangrila, Journal of American Academy of Religion, September 2001.